Nigeria Is In Crisis - Gov Tambuwal

 FOR THE RECORD 


Nigeria Is In Crisis


By Gov. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal (CFR, Mutawallen Sokoto)


(Being text of a speech delivered by Gov. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal on March 27, 2022, when a group of Concerned Citizens of Nigeria, led by Are Olumuyiwa Akinboro (SAN), who purchased a form for him to seek nomination of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to run for President presented the form to him at Government House, Sokoto)

I read in the press last week that some group of concerned Nigerians under your leadership have gone ahead to purchase Expression of Interest and Nomination forms from our great party- the PDP, for the office of the President for my humble self.


According to my own program, I was, as at that time, and still consulting various strata of leadership of our party and country on this aspiration. When I read that, I said that should not stop me from what I should be doing to gain the respect of those who have that respect and consult with those who I should consult on that expression.


And, now you are in Sokoto to formally present this form, I must thank you and your team for doing this on behalf of very many others who believe that we can do it. I know all of you and several of you who are not here; all in different parts of Nigeria, from different states; some of are Christians, some of you are Muslims, and; you decided that you should come together to do this.


I have listened to your address on this. As our situation is in Nigeria today and in times like this, when the situation is so dire and the country is in distress, members of that community or country must come together and put whatever differences they have aside to save the country. That is the situation of Nigeria today. It calls for every concerted effort from every and all concerned citizen to put their hands together to rescue it from an imminent collapse. 


My very dear friends, I am hearing that the dollar is heading for N700. When we met in Abia we brought out figures, not fiction, of the general situation in the country, most of it from the bureau of statistics of the Federal Government, which is clearly the story of this country as at today. We are in crisis. We saw these as at 2017/2018. And, that was why as at August 1 2018, even after receiving several delegations from the APC, including , six of my colleagues in the House, that I have personal relationship with, after due consultations with my people in the state and my other political associates, we decided to leave APC back to PDP.


Even as at then, from an informed position, we told Nigerians that should this administration of President Buhari come back the dollar would hit N500 (mark). And, we said so. Hear we are. It is now hitting N570-N580. The situation as far back as 2018, that made us to really leave the Federal Government, and, as for me, and; those of us from the North-West, has not changed. It wasn’t about personal ambition after all. We went to Port Harcourt and Wazirin Adamawa, Atiku Abubakar won the ticket and we supported him fully. If I had personal ambition I would have said let me go and pick a ticket from another platform and run for the Presidency of the country. When party members decided that it was Atiku Abubakar that would be our standard flag bearer, we supported him with everything we had; and, the situation is still getting worse. 


Generally, insecurity at that time was not as bad as now. Corruption index was not as bad as now. Economy, unemployment; inflation and every aspect was not as bad as now. Things are rather getting bad and worse . That situation that demanded us to rise to that challenge of working towards changing the defective APC government at the center has not changed. Things are rather getting worse and bad.


So, it behoves on us, as leaders, as responsible leaders of this country, to once again, come together to rescue Nigeria. It would be too bad for Nigeria if APC remains in charge of affairs after 2023.


I must thank you for putting me out, identifying me, as one of those who have the worth that you believe can do this job. You are right. I have friends from across the length and breadth of this country. You are right. I understand the federal structure of this country. I quite appreciate the complexity of the Nigerian state. I have the requisite experience, by the grace of God, to seek for the office of the President.


As I said, I am still consulting. I will come back to you.after my consultation very soon. Going by the timetable of our party, I think nomination forms are supposed to be returned between 15th and 16th of April. So, we still have a window of closing the consultation. When this is done, I will come back to you, so that we’ll go ahead and complete the form and return it or otherwise. But I must thank you on behalf of all of us who believe that Nigeria deserves better and for identifying me to be that person that can do this job on behalf of all of us. It is a collective thing. No single individual can do it alone. No zone can do it alone. No state can do it alone. No tribe can do it alone. No members of a particular faith can do it alone.


Nigeria is our common heritage. It is our country. All of us must be hands-on in saving our country.


Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Governor Mutfwang Calls For Unity Through Prayer In Plateau State Churches

Governor Mutfwang Receives Nigerian First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu's Generous Donation Of 500 Million Naira To Plateau Crisis Victims

Governor Caleb Mutfwang Rejoices With His Excellency, Nyesom Wike On Birthday