Domestic accident kept me away - Taraba Governor, Ishaku says on return to Jalingo


- Rolls out measures against CoronaVirus

By Pat PA Okon

Taraba State Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku yesterday returned to the state after 87 days of prolonged absence.



Ishaku was last seen performing public function on December 22, 2019,  when he presented the 2020 Appropriation Bill to the State House of Assembly.



The governor, who arrived in the state about 4p.m., said his prolonged absence was due to the injuries he sustained as a result of the domestic accident he had when he fell down from the staircase in his house located in Abuja, which led to various degree of injuries.

He said he was advised by his doctor to seek medical help from Germany, saying: “Those who saw me that morning before I left the country for Germany would tell you that I was actually limping.

The governor, who asked the people to cease from handshake pending when the Covid-19 virus is addressed, said the state would leave no stone unturned to prevent the virus from entering the state.

While urging the people to continue to give him peace for him to herald the much needed development to the state, said his government would continue to extend olive branch to the opposition political parties.

He refuted claims that governance in the state suffered setback during the period of his absence.

“I had an accident in the house. I fell off from a staircase and broke my legs.

“But I did not know, so I had to go for surgery. Then, I came back to recover from the injuries.

“And there were speculations: some said I am dead; some said I am crippled; some said I am vegetable.

“You are seeing me talking today, not that I have recovered fully but my doctor said I can travel today. That is why I have returned.”

The governor expressed gratitude to his deputy, Haruna Manu, for “holding the forte well” for him during his absence.

He thanked the State House of Assembly, under the leadership of Speaker, Hon. Joseph Albasu Kunini, for passing “a vote of confidence” on him when the opposition asked the lawmakers to impeach him for allegedly paralysing governance in the state.

He also thanked the judiciary and security agencies, saying they did well during his absence.

Responding on allegations that his absence had paralysed governance in Taraba, Ishaku said: “It is not true that nothing was working during my absence.

“I was getting reports everyday about what was going on in the State, and everything was working correctly, in spite of my absence.

“I want all Nigerians to note that we are all humans -that I am a governor does not make me super-human.

“I made a mistake of running upstairs in my house around 8p.m. Then they took the light. I fell and rolled down and that created crisis for me, which I never anticipated.

“Now, all of us are like that. An accident can happen to anybody at anytime, anywhere. So, when you glorify it and start singing music about it, it doesn’t help you.

“I want to assure the people of Taraba State that I am healing very well and nothing will stop moving in the state. The Rescue Agenda is ongoing,” Ishaku said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Governor Mutfwang Calls For Unity Through Prayer In Plateau State Churches

Governor Mutfwang Receives Nigerian First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu's Generous Donation Of 500 Million Naira To Plateau Crisis Victims

Governor Caleb Mutfwang Rejoices With His Excellency, Nyesom Wike On Birthday