#EndBadGovernance Protests: Obaseki addresses Edo protesters, insists on peaceful, orderly demonstrations

…assures, security of protesters, promises to channels demands to FG

The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, on Thursday, addressed protesters within the Benin metropolis in the wake of the nationwide #EndBadGovernance protests by citizens to express displeasure over the difficult living conditions, arising from various policies that have been implemented by the Federal Government.

Obaseki who empathized with the protesters at Ring Road, Benin City, the Edo State capital, said he was aware of the pains and sufferings faced by the Edo people and all Nigerians, promising to convey their demands to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The Governor also addressed protesters at the Secretariat Building on Sapele Road as well as those who converged at the Government House, Benin City.

The Governor, while assuring the protesters of adequate security, urged them to be peaceful and orderly, ensuring that hoodlums and miscreants do not hijack the protests to actualize their devious plans to loot and cause mayhem in our dear State.

According to him: “As your Governor, I know you are not happy. You are hungry. I am here to let you know that any message you have for me; I will take it to Abuja to give Mr. President. The level of hunger is high and I will take your messages to Abuja."

“You say the President should reduce fuel, I will let him know. You say unionists are causing a rise in food prices. Let me know those who are troubling you; they will be arrested. We will work to ensure that food prices come down. We will disband agberos and stop their activities on our roads. You say we should fix Federal Roads and reduce electricity tariff; I will take that to Abuja for the President to address. I will bring school fees down in Edo State; I don’t need the Federal Government on that."

“I have heard all you said. You demanded eight things: three I will handle myself and I will take the other five to Abuja. School fees and agbero will be reduced here in Edo. But for the price of fuel and cement; that is for Mr. President to handle.”

Popular comedian, Mr. Francis Agoda, popularly known as ‘I go Dye,’ who was part of the protesters, encouraged other protesters to be law abiding while protesting against the bad governance in the country.

He urged the protesters to protect Government property while carrying out the protest.

“We are not happy as we are all hungry and angry about the bad governance in the country. As we protest to drive home our demand, let us respect and protect government property across the state and nation.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Governor Caleb Mutfwang Rejoices With His Excellency, Nyesom Wike On Birthday

Education Remains a Top Priority of Our Policy Thrust: Gov. Fubara

Governor Mutfwang Crowns New Ngolong Ngas, HRH Nde Jika Golit